Sunday, May 4, 2008

Surveillance :Pros & Cons? in what surveillance! By who? <1>





On the left, this is my facebook profile page. Maybe I was making an excuse to do 'facebook'. but anyway..


Have you ever realize you were being observed or 'under surveillance' unwillingly?
No matter what reason, we are breathing with surveillance! It is unavoidable. When it comes to 'surveillance' in general, it gives me the idea of 'protection', 'pro-active protection'? '. I mean, for example, CCTV at the parking lot, camera at the 24 hour computer labs at university, speed camera on highway, things like that. We never thought or realize "IT WAS THERE BEFORE YOU GOT CAUGHT OR TILL SOMETHING HAPPEN". Then when you realize you were being under surveillance, before you knew, they already finished their homework! *Zing!* I don't know for some reason, I can take this as really lame example to describe.. often in 'CSI' (forensics involved to solve crimes) or 'Numb3rs' (FBI! yeah! they can tract down whatever they need to get work done and they often take 'cctv tape' from crime scene before/after and going through every single detail to catch 'the bad guy'). In numb3rs, (yes, I am a big fan of Numb3rs! meh, I know it is not that realistic), they often obtain suspects' email contents/history. I can going on and on about this but, I will move on to the internet surveillance!


Surveillance in cyberspace, peer-to-peer surveillance is positively acceptable(?) as long as you have a boundaries(privacy set up). The facebook has this 'mini feed' thing that I got bit surprised.->Like.. 'Boa wrote a msg on Tom's wall' or 'Boa Kim and 'Will Smith' are now friends/ 'Boa Kim comments on Helen Clark's photo
(this is just a example!), At some stage, I changed my privacy set 'news and mini feed' up again. So now it only shows changed history of my status.
Apart from interpersonal surveillance, this 'ECHELON' made me wonder how can I find them?
I have bookmarked and honestly, read very first paragraph of this website,
ECHELON: America's Secret Global Surveillance Network.

And this reading, ECHELON gives you a vaious useful resources/sources links about it. (plus, the web-page has a pretty map (not in English, I think it is in German!!!! and well, four agencies in the UKUSA system??? )

I am in half in sleep so going to bed now. :D

Next time I can finish the readings of the two above, and get some opinions on them!

night night!








No comments: