Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Hallelujah wikipedia!






Photo above: who put the ugly photo of burned chair at the "Otago University" in Wikipedia? Hey, please, consider world wide web users. They might practice in the other side of the world to just "fit in" to Otago university before they come to exchange or to study in here.
say we have to study real hard till sun goes down, we all live in the library and we are not allow to drink anywhere but at the top of flat roof!



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well, this time, I will try something that I can give a lecture lol.
It is so amazing how we can use, interpret the content of the network society.
Audience research showed that we can have gratification and something rewarded from the online communities. Authority, democracy and community around us continuously have changed and partly involved, generated and shaped!!
Web 1.0 and 2.0, in certain area, there are massive growing and framing as nice, pretty character sometimes, for example, since we can communicate each other, I can upload all the photos I took in Dunedin, then I showed off to my old mates in Christchurch( Definitely, we are different!! haha). they can email me, say some comments, sometimes it is so weird to read some of random user's messages.

As a internet user, I have been trying to use broad coverage of web contents. I can tell you story, about how much wikipedia hates me forever!
When I am doing my research, (My main area, Science, Genetics, Trying to put all the rare genetic disease into my brain) all my references are from pubmed, science direct or BMI journals that many scientists thought they do have 'reputation' to believe and rely on. We never say, "some people say so", we have to write the authority, where it come from, and who the hell found the dizzy fact. I was writing up a report about inherited disease.There are certain gene that you can receive from one of your parents unwillingly. It called HLA gene; human leukocyte antigen system (HLA), is the name of the human major histocompatibility complex, found on chromosome 6. Basically, if you are freaky mutant, you have likely to have turned on gene that HLA region 2 (have rhematoid Arthritis), region 3 likely to have Asthma and so on.. How did I know? I did some background search! Wikipedia! World's coolest my friend.. well, was. I just search HLA and came up some idea that I never did, but it was on the first result of the google! I can blame the google.
I talked to my lecturer, he didn't like it at all, told me to search Otago University.
well, at the end of this fairy tale is .. I ending up doing all my academic research all over again ,
with all books and journals. and never be friend with the wikipedia. I hate it!

Focusing on the information over material goods? sure! how awesome is that sounds?
Encyclopedia sometimes play funny, gives you completely wrong idea, confused you.
I can create some random disease and put up on wikipedia, say "Right eye blinking syndrome that it is inherited from your Y chromosome, there are 1 in 100000000 chance to get it" then who is going to fall for that? Authority? well, I don't think so. They might think I have freaky mutant retarded gene on my left brain.

web 1.0 was handy but like talking to wall, we obtain information and directories and then use them, but "prosumer" as doing both roles in these days.

web2.0, and web 3.0 maybe further more.. in social networks we can be sure that we can not rely on that 100%. Dual means we can interact, so this must mean something cool. .. not talking to wall or talking to million people whether you want to or not..
Personal space, we can communicate, create own identity.Think that I put up really gorgeous blondie girl's photo at my profile in facebook, it is like I am making my own cyber image and character- gee, I don't need any surgery like Micheal Jack***! haha I never ever thought of this before. I love myself so I just put my normal, plain photo which is boring...

Oh.. Final comment, who put the ugly photo of burned chair at the "Otago University" in Wikipedia? Hey, please, consider world wide web users. They might practice in the other side of the world to just "fit in" to Otago university before they come to exchange or to study in here.
say we have to study real hard till sun goes down, we all live in the library and we are not allow to drink anywhere but at the top of flat roof!

I might post another one tomorrow as I found some interesting readings.
I normally have too many questions to myself which make me bit silly!
Never mind. I am going to search some random drugs that I just found.
Good night guys B-)


5 comments:

Priscille B222 said...

How many people in that class have actually burnt a couch?
How many people in that class do know personally (not like I heard that the friend of my cousin's daughter's goldfish...) someone who has burnt a couch?

Anonymous said...

Hey, you brought up some pretty interesting stuff in this post. I think it might be interesting to see the reaction of users if you actually make the page on Wikipedia about the right eye blinking syndrome. I think it would also be interesting to see how long it would last. Too bad about about your research. Never trust Wikipedia!

erika said...

This was a great post to read, Boa! (and yes, who did put that picture up!)

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts/questions from the reading as well, once you've finished researching diseases and written up the wiki entry on Blinking Eye Syndrome :)

theshiftbutton said...

hehehe, i like the wikipedia! Even if it is one of the most unrealiable sites of the Earth!! I was talking to a friend of mine who told me that one of the reference sites that the science students is even more unrealiable than wikipedia!!! I have found that if you use wikipedia as a basis and look on other sites for evidence for or against it, it can work just aswell!!! ANyway, just wanted to tell you about it! Great post, loved reading it! It was real interesting.

Alina said...

I agree with you on wikipedia. In fact, i did pretty much the same thing. I used to use it a lot, since it was the first to come up when you googled something....but now, i probably won't even look at it again...i don't trust it no more!